Chapter 29 - Cold War
As with the last two chapter you will need to come up with a list of 12 terms for this chapter. Be sure to include the definition and significance of the term.
- Examine the map on page 981 entitled Territorial Changes after World War II. Using examples from the map and information you have learned explain why an "iron curtain" was beginning to descend on Europe.
- Define and explain the significance of the policy of containment.
- Explain the connection between the Truman Doctrine and the Greek civil war.
- What was the political strategy behind the economic Marshall Plan?
- What impact did the Communist Information Bureau (Cominform) have on Western and Soviet negotiation?
- Using the map on page 986 (Occupied Germany and Austria) explain the rationale behind a divided Germany.
- Explain the function and purpose of NATO and the Warsaw Pact.
- List the impact (at least two) that the creation of the state of Israel had on Europe.
- What was the purpose of the Korean War?
- Identify three or four key examples of political, social, and/or economic characteristics of leadership under the following Soviet rulers: Stalin, Khrushchev, Brezhnev, and Gorbachev.
- Provide at least two examples of how Western Europe moved toward political unity after World War II.
- Why did the nations of Europe give up their empires? Provide three examples and explanations?
- What did the Soviet Union do to repress the political pressures they received during the 1970s and early 1980s. What steps (at least two) did the Soviet government take to repress those protests?
- What were the major events in Eastern Europe - particularly Poland - that contributed to the collapse of communism? List at least 10 and explain their contribution to the collapse of communism.
- What were the causes and consequences of the Yugoslavian Civil War?
- What impact has the rise of radical political Islamism had on Europe?