Ch 14: New Directions in Thought and Culture in the 1500 and 1600
Things you should know by the end of this chapter:
- What did the following each contribute to the scientific revolution?
- Francis Bacon
- Which of the above do you think made the most important contributions and why?
- Would you rather live under a government designed by Hobbes or Locke? Why?
- Why were women unable to participate fully in the new science? How did family relationships help some women become more involved in the advance of natural philosophy?
- Why did the Catholic Church condemn Galileo?
- How did Pascal seek to reconcile faith and reason?
- How did English natural theology support economic expansion?
- Why did witch panics occur in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries?
- How might the Reformation have contributed to them?