Ch 10: Renaissance and Discovery
Define each of the following terms or phrases and then explain the significance that it has to either the Renaissance or the Age of Discovery. When defining the term indicate with (D) and when explaining the significance use (S) or provide who, what/how, where, when, and why for each of the following terms or phrases.
Hundred Years' War (1337-1453)
Black Death (1347)
Four Tenants of the Italian Renaissance:
Machiavelli, The Prince
Women in the Renaissance
Italian Renaissance Art: Include examples of and artists for the following mediums of art.
French Invasions (1494 - 1527)
Northern Renaissance Art
Northern Renaissance Writers
Characteristics of New Monarchies
War of the Roses
Marriage of Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile
Advances in learning and technology related to exploration
Impact of exploration and discovery on Europe.
In this Chapter you are expected to know:
Answer each question by providing specific examples and by using complete phrases. (Please use at least 5 - 8 sentences.)
Below are a list of potential starters that we will use throughout the class. You do not need to answer these questions as part of your packet. These will be answered in your notebooks as Miss Ide assigns at the beginning of class.
- Name the five major Italian city-states that dominated the Renaissance era. Be sure to note why they dominated in cultural and economic aspects.
- List the four major new monarchies - noting their country; political, economic and social views (if any); and goals.
- How did the individuals of the Renaissance differ from the Medieval individual - include the following: the view of man, woman, politics, the focus on heaven and earth, secularism, education, and art.
- Why did the French invade Italy in 1494? How did this event trigger Italy's political decline?
- How did the actions of Pope Julius II and the ideas of Niccolo Machiavelli signify a new era in Italian civilization?
- What is "the spirit of the Renaissance"?
- How did the Renaissance in the north differ from the Italian Renaissance? In what ways was Erasmus the embodiment of the northern Renaissance?
- What factors led to the voyages of discovery? Why were the Portuguese interested in finding a route to the East? Why did Columbus sail west across the Atlantic in 1492?